Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Feminine Mystique

The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan 1963

I tried, I really did. I've wanted to read this book for such a long time and when I finally settled down to read it I found that I couldn't. I had difficulty getting into her use of language. We just don't talk like that anymore, nor do we read that way either.

Another issue I had was that Friedan was preaching to the choir. I understand her perspective. I still find her overall argument relevant today. I see women turning to Oprah, book clubs, gyms, shopping, cooking classes as ways of finding themselves. Granted this isn't the entirety of Friedan's message it is a portion of it.

I feel horrible that I couldn't finish this. I mean, I graduated with a BA in Women's Studies and I can't finish such a pivotal work in Women's Studies! Something must be wrong with me. There are just so many books I want to read that I've got to put my foot down at times in order to spend my time reading something else. Don't you ever find yourself doing that?

No comments: