Sunday, March 22, 2009

Book Review: The Purity Myth


I was pretty excited to read this book when it came out. The author, Jessica Valenti, has a blog called Feministing that I frequently read. And also, I grew up in a culture that placed heavy influence on saving yourself for marriage (i.e., no pre-marital sex). When I was younger I bought what was taught to me hook, line, and sinker, but since getting older my views have changed. So this is a subject that I'm very interested in.

Valenti's main position is that the obsession with "purity," "chastity," and "virginity" is harmful to young women because it creates a dichotomy that allows women to be only either virgins or whores. She does a good job supporting her position, and even if it is not a perfect representation of society, I think she raises a lot of good points that really require us to think about.

I had only one beef with this book. There was virtually no discussion of how the purity myth harms the women that buy into it as well. There were a couple of allusions to how sex can't magically go from being evil and dirty to being wonderful after a person is married, but I wish that she had explored that a little more. The basic idea was there, but never developed. But of course, a book can't cover everything, so it's not necessarily a weakness. It's just something that I would have appreciated. I think that the purity myth can be harmful to women even if they don't "mess up" and have pre-marital sex, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

5075ddca-8f7f-4ca6-9f50-511cb3801f5d

Anonymous said...

減肥減重
熱水器瓦斯爐
pulverizer,spice grinder

Anonymous said...

旅行社

婚禮顧問

婚禮錄影

網頁設計

seo

網路行銷

關鍵字

網站優化

a383

s383

love104

a383

s383

租屋網

租屋

洪爺

室內設計



2008年08月06日 本公司提供7-11等五大超商+郵局繳費機制 2008年07月09日 本公司提供關鍵字SEO排序服務 2008年08月06日 山鉧科技網頁設計 ... 完善的網頁設計和程式設計 搭配SEO關鍵字廣告創造企業佳績 優秀的設計團隊,完美的網頁設計支持 ...



3

Anonymous said...

租屋網

租屋


25
ffdfdghfhdfh
fhfg
hfh
dhd
h
d
雨傘


hghfghfgh
dfh

dfh
dhdhdghdfh8

Anonymous said...

批發

81888888
髮飾工廠徵批發,2萬多種

現成壓克力成品,3000元

小額創業,款式新穎,外

銷品,請預約時間,來工

廠選貨.......

Anonymous said...

a片

av女優

日本A片

a片下載

av片

洪爺

色情a片

Anonymous said...

a383

a383

s383

s383

s383


11888888
S383成人網站,包含情色A片.AV女優視訊,美女,交友,聊天室,色情,遊戲線上,情色網站內容,依"電腦網際網路分級辦法"為限制級,限定為年滿18歲且已具有完整行為能力之網友,未滿18歲謝絕進入且願接受本站內影音內容及各項條款。為防範未滿18歲之未成年網友瀏覽網路上限制級內容的圖文資訊,建議您可進行網路分級基金會TICRF分級服務的安裝與設定。