Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Book Review: The Rule of Four

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason

I listened to this book over Christmas break while driving home. I remember being excited when this book came out since it is in "Dan Brown style" and takes place on a college campus. After listening to it I have to say that I'm not impressed.

The plot surrounds a mysterious 15th-century manuscript, the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, a rare text (a real book) which contains embedded codes revealing the location of a buried Roman treasure. Four students, in an Indiana Jones fashion, attempt to solve the mystery before an evil professor takes all the credit! Sound familiar?

The writing is disjointed and there were several times where Mike and I had to stop and collect the pieces of the plot to see the picture. We both struggled to finish this one.

Grade: B

1 comment:

Lindsey Lou said...

Yeah, I've passed on this one a number of times in the bookstore. It looked a little too "Da Vinci Code" for me (even though I never read that particular literary phenomenon.)