Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Book Review: Into the Storm

I love, love, love Suzanne Brockmann. Love her. Sometimes the plots in her books aren't appealing to me, but her writing is just fun and her characters are always fantastic.

Brockmann writes about Navy SEALS, specifically the fictional Team Sixteen, and until I started reading her books I didn't know how hot Navy SEALS could be. For a while there in college I was slightly obsessed until I realized real SEALS are probably nothing like Brockmann's characters who are always smart, funny, and sensitive. Oh, and they always cry when the women in their lives try to dump them. They all seem kind of too good to be true, but then again, they're in the military and their wives and girlfriends probably never get to see them.

In this book the hero was again a SEAL from Team Sixteen, Mark Jenkins, a character who has been mentioned in a number of the prior books in the series. The heroine was named Lindsey (awesome!) and she worked for a private firm that was associate with the SEALS in a complicated way that I don't want to explain now. And since the plot doesn't really matter, I'm not going to waste the time to talk about it. But I will say that it was a better plot than some of her recent work.

Brockmann is fantastic because the relationships she writes about seem very real. The people are flawed, honest, confused, etc. And I like how her dialogue is something that would actually occur in real life. But best of all she's just funny. Jenkins's friend Izzy is hilarious, and even though it isn't laugh out loud, it's just fun to read.

Lindsey's Grade: A-

No comments: