Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Book Review: Temperatures Rising

Okay, here is where my love of Sandra Brown '80's romance novels reaches its limit because this book was frackin' retarded! Maybe I've mentioned it before, but I just have something against romance heroines with black hair. I don't really know why, but I don't like it. Especially when it's either (a) really really long, or (b) cut in a pixie style. If I have to listen to one more heroine described as a "pixie" I will go apeshit. Of course, I also have a very strong aversion to short adults. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Anyway, the heroine in this book had long black hair that was practically to her waist. Gross. But she was half-Polynesian so it's a little more acceptable (for some reason it's only black haired caucasian women that annoy me). Yet I still couldn't like her because she was stupid (even though she had a Ph.D. The general plot is that she kidnaps an American engineer who is on her Pacific island home to build a swanky resort. She kidnaps him at gunpoint and takes him back to her tiny village so he can build her people a bridge. WTF? So stupid, so unbelievable. Even more unbelievable that she fell for the hero (I can't remember either of their names) because he was an asshole. No way around it. It was like he thought he was entitled to sleep with her. I didn't like him, especially because he had a fiancee back in the States and the heroine knew it! He was selfish and immoral.

Also, I was supposed to feel soooo sorry for her because she was half-islander and life in the States was soooo hard for her when she was in school because her fiancee broke it of with her years ago when his parents didn't approve of him marrying a non-Caucasian. Give me a break. Even in the '80's I don't think that would have been a big deal. She was supposed to be drop-dead gorgeous and brilliant. I'm supposed to feel sorry for her? Buck up, you wimp. How about you have some real problems? We'll talk then.

A totally asinine book.

Lindsey's Grade: F

No comments: