Friday, October 19, 2007

Letters to a Young Mathematician

Letters to a Young Mathematician by Ian Stewart

I was initially drawn to this book's cover. Its beautiful. Not only does it portray "smooth," it at the same time shows delicate detail.

This book is a part of a semi-fictional mentoring series for those within various realms. As someone who enjoys math I decided to read it. I found it fascinating and boring, simultaneously. As a whole, it wasn't able to hold my attention longer than ten minutes. The mathematical concepts and theory combined with research and teaching were very interesting, however the portions mentoring this young woman were dry. I think this was because I couldn't relate as I am not an academic. I'm also not that nerdy!

The idea of this mentoring series interests me and I'm currently on to another in the series, Letters to a Young Lawyer, which will be reviewed soon.


Kim's Grade: B Good for anyone in hard sciences, thinking about a career in academia, or who is pursuing a Ph.D

No comments: