Saturday, October 20, 2007

Thrift Store Book Finds

Last night during an attempt to have a "date" we left "date-mode" and crashed a Deseret Industries we had never been to before. After scoring some sweatshirts for the dog I was able to find some interesting books:

A Girl from Yamhill: A Memoir by Beverly Cleary
Looks promising and who wouldn't be interested in the woman who brought us Ramona? Plus she worked not too far from where I grew up in Eastern Washington. Her descriptions of growing up in the Pacific Northwest will interest me alone.

More Joy of Mathematics: Exploring Mathematics All Around You by Theoni Pappas
Brief explorations into everyday math, for the geek in me.

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
While in Mexico with the Magician a woman working with us criticized me for never reading any Sedaris. I've always remembered this and yesterday I finally gave in. He is supposed to be funny, lets hope so...

I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on being a Woman by Nora Ephron
The title alone makes me giggle. And since I will be getting old someday it may be worth reading. It also reminds me of Lindsey, although I can't tell you why.

And last but not least, in fact the best purchase I made yesterday, the one I can't wait to read and then sarcastically give to a certain someone:

How to be a Perfect Wife and Other Myths by Afton Day
Lets just say its Mormon and most likely full of ideas Kim greatly disagrees with but wants to read just so she'll be in the know. I can't remember a time when I was this excited to associate myself with the W-word!

No comments: