Friday, October 26, 2007

A Mighty Heart: Book vs Movie

In April I wrote a short book review of A Mighty Heart. Most of us would agree that books are better than their movie versions and after watching A Mighty Heart I would definitely agree.

I would not recommend this movie to anyone.

The main reason why is that the movie doesn't focus on Mariane but rather the entire story. I suppose by doing so the movie is a little clearer about the confusion that was occurring. I found myself pausing the movie several times and explaining to Mike the emotional state Mariane was in, the fact that she thought her depression, frustration and fear was going to kill her unborn child, and of her constant battle to remain hopeful that Daniel was alive. I feel that comprises more of a mighty heart than what the movie portrayed.

By the time Mariane, who is played by Angelina Jolie, breaks down in the movie I had a difficult time sympathizing because I didn't feel the emotions were there. As for the book, I remembered crying throughout the entire memoir.

Overall the message of her memoir is stronger than whatever can be taken away from the film. I think this is often the case for books that are made into movies. Will there ever come a time when books aren't made into movies? Probably not, but I wish I was given more notice sometimes. Kite Runner is now on my must read soon list due to it coming to theaters this winter. It seems like it was yesterday that the book came out...

No comments: