Wednesday, April 19, 2006

It's a Magical World

Considering that my last contribution was pretty embarrassing, I've decided to post again even though I haven't finished the book I'm reading (and final exams are coming up so I have a good excuse for that, anyway). Besides, Kim wrote about the Venetian whore and her dwarf and she NEVER finished that one.

From the publisher:
After the suspicious death of her mother in 1895, sixteen-year-old Gemma returns to England, after many years in India, to attend a finishing school where she becomes aware of her magical powers and ability to see into the spirit world.

When you put it that way, it sounds a little silly. This is actually a YA (young adult) book, but it's received positive reviews from adults so I decided to give it a try. So far I'm liking it, although Gemma makes me sad because she's so sad over losing her mother. I've never been a big fan or paranormal or magical plots, though, so we'll have to see how I feel when I finish.

What about you guys? Do you like reading about magic or do you prefer to read books that could (theoretically) be grounded in reality?

1 comment:

Kym said...

my new book is about magical realism and i like it but i might put it off for a while and read more about other stuff...i don't quite know yet...