Monday, July 24, 2006

Update: The Historian

I was on the road a good twenty hours the last couple of days and managed to finish listening to The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Lindsey reviewed this book not too long ago and really enjoyed it so I looked forward to it as well. Book Sense named it the book of the year for 2005 and I now understand why. It is a story about searching for Dracula across three generations and told from numerous perspectives. It is rich with history and is very engrossing. The ending is well worth it.

The only problem I had was that there was a different reader for each character and it was difficult not to laugh at some of the horrible accents. However, having several readers gave the story an old-time radio feel to it. The book was about ten hours to listen to versus 650 pages of reading so I feel that by listening to it I was able to get through it much faster than if I was to read it.

Kim's Grade: A A great summer read! If you like Da Vinci Code style books then you'll LOVE this one. Its much classier!

Temporary's Grade: B+

No comments: