Wednesday, June 28, 2006

It Is Finished


Well, I finally finished "The Historian." For a while there it felt like I would be reading that book forever, but really that was mostly because I have a semi-job now and therefore not as much time to read. And even though I'm a fairly quick reader, I can't zip through 656 pages.

Now, I've heard mixed reviews about this book. It's gotten a lot of good press and attention, which made me buy it in the first place, but I read elsewhere that a lot of people were disappointed with the ending. I think I would have to disagree.

The sheer complexity and creativity of this story makes "The Historian" an engrossing and enjoyable read. It is essentially a book about the legend of Dracula, Vlad Tepes, a 15th century Prince of Wallacia. The characters in the book are historians who are basically researching their way through old archives all over Eastern Europe. One of the things I liked best about this book was how the author portrayed that part of the world with such beauty and history that it made me want to go there when before I had no interest in the area at all!

I'm not really one to read fantasy/magic/vampire books, but this one is subtle enough and presented in a classy way so that I didn't mind it at all.

Lindsey's Grade: A

No comments: