Friday, June 23, 2006

Who is reading what this summer

I came across an article in USA Today awhile ago that listed what some authors were planning to reading this summer. Here are just a few of them.

Jodi Picoult, author of The Tenth Circle

Digging to America by Anne Tyler: "It's on my nightstand, and I keep looking at it and thinking, 'VACATION!' "

We Are All Welcome Here by Elizabeth Berg: "I savor Elizabeth Berg's books, and I have heard the story behind this one, which makes it even more tantalizing. The idea grew out of a story that Elizabeth heard from a fan about her own life. I love that idea of a transaction between reader and writer."

Sophie Kinsella, author of The Undomestic Goddess

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (to be published in the UK, where Kinsella lives, in July; in the USA in October): "I adored Case Histories, it had such dry humor and a page-turning story line - and this book features the same main character, Jackson Brodie."

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka: "The story of two sisters and the gold-digger who is after their aging father. I have heard it's very funny."

Wally Lamb, author of She's Come Undone

The March by E.L. Doctorow, Ted Williams by Leigh Montville and The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls: "These are the books my wife has raved most about from the other side of our bed."

Pushcart Prize XXX: Best of the Small Presses, 2006 Edition, edited by Bill Henderson: "One of my favorite summertime traditions is savoring the annual Pushcart Prize volume. This ever-reliable series harvests a bumper crop of the best American prose and poetry written in the previous year. The selections never fail to satisfy, amaze and illuminate life."

Eliot Schrefer, author of Glamorous Disasters

Brutal Journey: The Epic Story of the First Crossing of North America by Paul Schneider: "Because a recounting of the trek of a conquistador and his motley crew of 400 Spaniards, Caribbean natives and Africans across a searing and untamed American landscape - with only four of them surviving - just screams out fun beach read."

The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue: "A 7-year-old is abducted by hobgoblins and replaced by a fairy twin: Don't you want to lie under the covers and have someone read it to you?"

John Grogan, author of Marley and Me

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan: "I've been a fan of Pollan's work for years. He's smart, insightful, funny and often profound. And he makes me question my comfortable assumptions and understand the true costs of the lifestyle choices I make."

The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar: "Her writing is lovely, and she takes the reader vividly into another culture, another world - in this case, the modern-day caste system of contemporary Bombay."

No comments: