Tuesday, May 23, 2006

BOOK BATTLES!! Round 4



I recently read two books by Anita Shreve, her latest release "A Wedding in December," and the previous release "Light on Snow." I resisted buying "Light on Snow" for a while because the large print and sparse number of words on a page made me think that it wasn't worth $14. So I bought "A Wedding in December" and read it first. Kinda disappointed. Shreve is the master at taking a subject that sounds infinitely boring and turning it into an enjoyable read. This book was about a bunch of high school friends who get together 27 years later at the wedding of two of their classmates. Adultry abounded, and if you know one thing about me, it's that I hate adultry in books. I thought the ending was uber lame, even though the characters were interesting.
Lindsey's Grade: B-

"Light on Snow," on the other hand, was touching, funny, and sad all at the same time. The story is told through the eyes of a twelve year old living with her widowed father. While hiking in the woods during December, they find an abandoned newborn and save its life. Again, Shreve is wonderful at making an ordinary sounding plot full of life and interest. Her books are always character-driven and, for me, the characters become people you genuinely care about.
Lindsey's Grade: A

Winner: "Light on Snow"

No comments: