Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Intellectual Candy

I may be a law student, but I was first a biochemistry undergraduate student, so every once in a while I like to pick up a science book. This book by Diana Preston is about the development of the atomic bomb, starting with Marie Curie's discovery of radiation.

This book is a facinating read from beginning to end, but maybe I just feel that way because my dream job is to be a scientific historian. But seriously, this book makes you feel like you're right there with the scientists, first as they were making amazing discoveries into the structure of the atom and then as the Allies raced to develop an atomic bomb before the Germans. What I especially liked was the way Preston made sure to include the human element. The attention she paid to Werner Heisenberg (the origin of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) as he worked on the bomb for his native Germany while the Nazi party was in power was very intriguing because the poor man obviously had an inner battle to fight.

If you like either science or history you will love this book!

Lindsey's Grade: A+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»