Monday, May 08, 2006

Too Emotional


I'm on page 152 of this book with 389 pages, but I honestly have wondered more than once if I'll be able to finish it. I've mentioned on my blog how Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper basically ripped my heart out and stomped on it, leaving me in a crying, slobbering mess at the end.

I can already tell this book will be worse.

Every page, every single page, is so unbelievably sad. Heck, I've already cried and I'm only on page 152! The book is about two families who have lived next door to each other for eighteen years. The moms are best friends and the oldest children, Chris and Emily, have been inseperable their whole lives and have been dating for the past three years. At the beginning of the book, Emily is shot dead. The police think Chris murdered her. He says they had a suicide pact and they were stopped before he could kill himself.

Not that grieving parents aren't bad enough, Picoult tells Chris and Emily's story throughout the present events, doing flashbacks to their childhood (they are seventeen when Emily dies). Anyone who was in love as a teenager can relate, and knowing that Emily will eventually die is just awful. And to top it off, Emily was pregant when she died and I think she was molested when she was a little girl.

I will keep you posted on how I fare at the end. I except some major waterworks.

No comments: